Over 8000local volunteers and 150 organizations descended on beaches fromSrinivasapuram to Uthandito take part in the 8thannual Case Grande Chennai Coastal CleanUp in association with Marks & Spencer today between 6-9am. The Chennai Coastal CleanUp, organized by the Chennai Trekking Club, cleaned the 20-km coastal line and collected over 50 tonnes of garbage, making it South India’s largest beach clean up.
The Chennai Coastal CleanUp is a South India wide awareness drive on our growing garbage footprint and the impact on the environment. Volunteers were seen hard at work, segregating garbage to maximize recycling and minimize landfill. 15 major cities in the South including Bangalore, Hyderabad, Kochi, Vizag, Pondicherry, Dindigul, Madurai, Trichy, Tirunelveli and various regional green NGOs joined the initiative on Sunday under the umbrella mission India Clean Sweep to spread the message.
The Event’s Green Partner, Marks & Spencer, offered its support by providing gloves and garbage disposal bags to volunteers along with its Chennai team volunteering on ground.Marks & Spencer’s participation in the event is a part of its Plan A commitment, its eco and ethical programme through which it aims to help play a transformative role in communities by enabling local economies to thrive, helping to build socially connected communities and improving local environments. M&S is committed to supporting its colleagues worldwide to provide one million hours of worktime community volunteering by 2025.
As part of the Chennai Coastal Clean Up, several awareness initiatives are running including public city wall paintings, restoration of Adyar river banks, creation of zero-waste communities along coast, community programs with children, social media campaigns to reduce single use plastics and involvement of 30+ running and cycling groups across the city.
Notes to editors
About Marks & Spencer in India
• Marks & Spencer opened its first store in India in 2001 and in April 2008 signed a Joint Venture with Reliance Retail to form Marks & Spencer Reliance India Pvt Ltd.
• M&S now has 58 stores in India across 27 cities including Delhi, Gurgaon, Noida, Amritsar, Mumbai, Pune, Kolkata, Bangalore, Chennai, Kochi, Baroda, Surat, Kanpur, Hyderabad, Lucknow, Jaipur and Chandigarh. M&S is also available online via Amazon, Myntra and Ajio.
• Marks & Spencer is one of the UK’s leading retailers. Marks & Spencer sells high quality, great value clothing and home products as well as outstanding quality food.
• Established in 1884, Marks & Spencer currently has over 900 UK stores and over 460 international stores across 58 territories in Europe, the Middle East and Asia.
• Marks & Spencer also has a local online presence in 23 international markets.
• For more information please visit http://corporate.marksandspencer.
About Plan A
• Plan A is Marks & Spencer’s sustainable business plan that tackles both today’s and tomorrow’s sustainable retail challenges.
• Launched in 2007, the plan is focused on customer, employee and supplier engagement and includes commitments that tackle issues such as climate change, waste, raw materials, health and being a fair partner.
• To find out more please visit the Plan A website – http://corporate.marksandspencer.com/plan-a.