“Amazon.in continued to be the most shopped on and trusted marketplace in India, with more customers shopping here than anywhere else. We acquired the highest number of new customers ever in one single event, outside of Diwali sales, with 85% of the new customers coming in from tier 2-3 towns. Prime continues to be a bestseller and Amazon Pay is seeing strong adoption, clearly demonstrating customer trust in Amazon.in.” said Manish Tiwary, Vice President – Category Management, Amazon India
* Kantar IMRB’s empaneled survey of 32k online consumers in over 200 cities
(X) – This is the spike in normal daily performance
Overall scale, Reach and customer response:
• Amazon App was the most visited and most shopped destination as per Similarweb
• According to Kantar IMRB –
o Amazon.in had the highest share of orders with 2X more orders than nearest competition
o Nearly double the number of transacting customers over nearest competitor in the Indian ecommerce industry
• 1.7X new customers over a normal business day with 85% coming from Tier II, Tier III & below geographies
Prime continues to thrill customers
• Prime attracted new members from over 300 cities including Srinagar in North, Erode in South, Bhuj in West and Hooghly in East
• Samsung A8+ and Samsung On7 Prime opened sales first to Prime members during Prime Early Access
• Fire TV Stick sold over 15x compared to regular days, with 9 out of 10 devices being bought by Prime members
• Over 3X customers use Amazon Pay balance to shop on Amazon.in
• The Daily Average Usage for Amazon Pay balance increased by 3X during the first two days of the Great Indian Sale
• 1 out of 3 prepaid orders under INR 3,000 were placed using Amazon Pay balance making it the most popular instrument
• Number of customers who added balance also increased by 3X
• For the first time ever, The Great Indian Sale witnessed the launch of 3 blockbuster smartphones with new unique features
o Samsung’s Galaxy On7 Prime comes pre-loaded with the Samsung Mall and visual search features. Galaxy A8+ is Samsung’s first phone with Dual front Camera. OnePlus 5T was available in a special edition Lava Red colour variant. Over a million customers had expressed interest in these phones since the announcement
o Smartphones overall witnessed a record 6X increase with brands like Motorola, Samsung, Honor, Redmi, OnePlus and 10.or leading the growth. One Plus 5T, Moto G5S Plus, Samsung Galaxy A8+, Honor 7X, Redmi 4 and Redmi Y1 were the top sellers during the sale
o Honor’s View 10 – the world’s first on-chip Artificial Intelligence phone launched just before the sale witnessed stellar sales.
o Customers used programs such as no-cost EMI and Exchange to shop. 1 out of 2 customers buying OnePlus 5T exchanged their old devices in return and 1 out of 2 customers buying premium smartphones like OnePlus 5T, Honor View 10, LG V30+, Samsung Galaxy A8+ took advantage of the No Cost EMI option
• Large Appliances witnessed a strong growth of over 4.5X
o Most preferred brands during this sale were LG, Bosch, Whirlpool and BPL which saw 6X to 8X growth
o Customers continue to get comfortable to even buy premium products as 1 in 2 washing machines sold were front loading washing machines and 1 in 3 air conditioners sold were inverter air conditioners
o 1 in every 5 refrigerators & washing machines sold was availed with an exchange offer with customers getting up to 25% of product value in exchange value
o No cost EMI offerings were popular with 1 in 3 transaction using EMI option
• Televisions grew to 7X overall with exclusive brands TCL & BPL growing 8X. Smart TVs grew 7X and premium brands like Sony, Samsung, Panasonic & LG grew 7X
• Amazon Fashion grew to 2X the daily run rate with Flying Machine growing by 23X, Peter England by 13X, RedTape by 11X, US Polo, Puma by 7X, UCB, BIBA & Under Armour by 6X when compared to daily run rate
o Kids’ clothing grew 4X, Precious Jewellery grew 5x, Sportswear grew 5x, Shoes grew 7x, Sunglasses grew 3.5x and Watches grew 2.5x
• Beauty enthusiasts shopped for 3.5X more Skin Care than a normal day in 2017 with Nivea and Lakme seeing highest sales growth. Men’s deodorants saw a 2.8X jump led by Axe and Cinthol. Top Make-Up brands were Lakme, Maybelline and L’oreal that saw a jump of 2.5X.
• In Toys, brands like Funskool, Mattel and Hasbro saw a 2.5X jump in sales with RC Cars and SoftToys leading the way. Baby Care sold 3.5X of diapers than a normal day in 2017.
• Books, games and media grew close to 2X
• Fitness freaks shopped for Sports Nutrition brands 2.5X a normal day in 2017 with Optimum Nutrition and MuscleBlaze leading the sales.
• Pantry customers bought 2.5 X of Pantry Boxes than a regular day in 2017. Detergents have led the way for Household essentials with 4X sales on Day 1.
• Grocers bought 4X times healthier Cooking Oils like Borges and Disano and Chocolates for their loved ones.
• Trimmers by Philips and Havels lead the sales of Personal Care Appliances by 4X.
• Furniture grew at 5X the daily run rate led by Recliners, Sofas, Mattresses and Beds.
• Small Appliances grew 3X from BAU driven by Mixer Grinders, 6X and Water Purifiers 5X. Category also witnessed growth in key brands like Prestige Kent (8X), Preethi (7X) and HUL Pureit (6X). Gas Stoves grew 8X over BAU driven by brands such as Prestige, Sunflame and Pigeon. Thermos and Flasks grew by 7X driven by brands such as Milton and Cello.
• Treadmill & exercise bikes grew 3X showcasing growing interest of fitness amongst customers
• Fire TV Stick sold over 15x compared to regular days; Kindle sold over 10x compared to regular days
Making Shopping Affordable
• No Cost EMI (6X) & Exchange Schemes (11X) witnessed strong adoption by customers
• 3X more customers benefited from bank cash back over the Great Indian Sale in January 2017
Impacting the Ecosystem
• Around 1000 sellers saw their biggest one-day sale ever during the Great Indian Sale
• Close to 350 sellers crossed the millionaire mark in just 2 days
• Several appliance sellers observed astounding 1500% growth in the first two days
• Udaan Stores see 14x increase in new customers and 5x increase in sales over last year
Some Quirky facts
• 1.4 lakh kg of home gyms and dumbbell sets were bought on Amazon.in which is approximately equal to the weight of 2 Boeing 737 airplanes!
• India adopts safe medicine storage practices – Milton medical boxes saw a 50X growth!
“During the Great Indian Sale event, our Video Games turnover on just day 1 of the sale grew by 3.5 times of our daily business in the category!” Said Keyuri Goshar, Beyond Toys and Gifts
“During the event, our sales increased by 40X on Day 1 as compared to a normal day. In just two days of the sale we did almost ~ 20% of our entire last year business!” said Suma Reddy, Online Business Head, Bajaj Electronics
“During the Great Indian sale event, OnePlus 5T has emerged as one of the best-selling premium smartphones with a growth of 5 times over regular days. The phenomenal response is a result of high customer satisfaction, exclusive offers on Amazon.in and increased reach across the country.” said Vikas Agarwal, General Manager – India, OnePlus
“The Great Indian Sale 2018 has been phenomenal for us as we’ve seen a 7X increase in terms of units sold against the regular business period with products shipped to all corners of the country. This event has surpassed our expectations.” Said Vishak Kumar, CEO, Madura Fashion & Lifestyle, Aditya Birla Retail
“The Great Indian Sale at Amazon.in was a big success in terms of volumes sold with a growth of 10X across our brands, such as, US Polo Association, Flying Machine and Ed Hardy. We are definitely looking forward to more.” said Alok Dubey, CEO, Lifestyle Brands Division – Arvind Lifestyle Brands Limited
The Amazon.in marketplace is operated by Amazon Seller Services Private Ltd, an affiliate of Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN). Amazon.in seeks to build the most customer-centric online destination for customers to find and discover virtually anything they want to buy online by giving them more of what they want – vast selection, low prices, fast and reliable delivery, and a trusted and convenient experience; and provide sellers with a world-class e-commerce marketplace.
For more information, visit www.amazon.in/aboutus
For news on Amazon, follow www.twitter.com/AmazonNews_IN
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit www.amazon.com/about and follow @AmazonNews